How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36099
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have quite a large carbuncle on my upper back which necessitated

Customer Question

I have quite a large carbuncle on my upper back which necessitated a trip to the doctor as it failed to come to a head with an old fashioned poultice. I have been prescribed 1 GM Amoxicillin twice a day plus acream to apply locally. However, I was also prescribed a Tetanus jab which I am reluctant to have until the infection has subsided - am I right to do so? I am not far off my 75th birthday and have had regular 10 yearly Tetanus jabs (although I may be due one!)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi. If you're really due a booster you should of course get one but this isn't a situation that puts one a risk for tetanus. If you decide to get the booster, you really don't have to wait until the infection subsides but since it should subside within a week there's no harm until waiting until then to get the booster
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.


I don't think I would go down this road again because it was a pain in the derriere getting through to you!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure but please remember to rate my service to you