How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19449
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Iam a man years old I get a bad pain in my left side if

This answer was rated:

Iam a man 69 years old I get a bad pain in my left side if I use a broom or shovel
It will help if you cold provide some further information:
Could you provide more detail of the location of the pain?
Do you mean the left side of the chest or abdomen?
Is it more towards the front or back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Left side lower back
Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of pain in the left lower back that is exacerbated when using a broom or shovel is a muscle strain of the muscles around the spine.

There are a couple of home interventions that can be tried for this problem. It may help to apply local care, such as ice and moist heat. It also may help to use massage and stretching of the lower back. The over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, also may help, although it may require a higher dose. While it may be helpful to use the over the counter strength, there also are prescription strengths of 800 mg of ibuprofen and 550 mg of naproxen sodium, designed to be taken 2-3 times daily, or an equivalent amount of the over the counter strength can be taken. It is also reasonable to take paracetamol along with the anti-inflammatory medicine.

If these home interventions are not sufficient, then there are prescription medicines that also can be considered, such as muscle relaxers or stronger pain medicines, but this would require being seen by your doctor.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you