How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hi, Im 19 years old and have started to feel down a lot recently.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm 19 years old and have started to feel down a lot recently. I cry at random times, and it can be out of the blue and about nothing but it's frequent when I have drank alcohol. I tend to find a release of pain at this point, anything to stop how I feel, this has involved digging my hairs into my arms, neck and head, I have taken more than a few paracetamol once or twice, slit my wrists once, and have had the desire to do so again. It could just be stress of uni, or my age, either way I can't manage to tell anyone, I just laugh off the concerns of how I've started to act "differently" and clam up. What's wrong with me?
This clearly needs psychological evaluation./
Why have you not had that
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wasn't aware I needed it, I don't feel like this constantly but once a day, what do I do? See a gp? Can't they just prescribe me meds?
Depending on the situation, your GP might prescribe an SSRI medication, however, meds are not fool proof and can initially make symptoms worse.
So it is better to be referred to a specialist in this sense unless your GP has a lot of experience with this.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is also useful, and this is done by a PhD clinical psychologist.

You have to have the assessment to know the best treatment.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you