How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35578
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I suffer from head rocking/nodding ( like nodding in agreement).

This answer was rated:

I suffer from head rocking/nodding ( like nodding in agreement). This is always present though if i concentrate I am able to stop. Any advise
Hi. How long has this been going on and is it constant? Is it just nodding or is it more like a tremor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure how long but i am guessing quite a number of years.

Yes it is constant and i would say its nodding though I am not sure what a tremor would look like

Allan--any problem with your walking or hand movements or stiffness of your arms or legs? Any difficulty swallowing or speaking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no to all

OK. Allan, I would have you evaluated by a neurologist for this. You need an MRI of the brain. One possibility would be Parkinson's disease, although I would have suspected that by now the disorder would have advanced to the point of affecting your gait or other symptoms. You could also be having what's called essential tremor which is a little difficult to diagnose and has no specific cause. There are, of course, treatments for either disorder but the first stop here would be a neurologist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My doctor ruled out Parkinsons too. She suggested that it was a farly common condition for which their is nothing that can be done.

Is she right? would there be any exercise/lifestyle changes that might at least reduce the symptom?

I still would have a neurologist do a thorough exam and get the MRI to determine it isn't Parkinson's. Zinc and magnesium supplements and a medication like propranolol or gabapentin can treat essential tremor but I would have a neurologist suggest those for you
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you