How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19457
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I have a problem with my prostate. I have been thoroughly checked

This answer was rated:

I have a problem with my prostate. I have been thoroughly checked out (on several occasions over the past few years) PSA tests, digital rectal examinations - all negative. I'm taking Tamsulosin and Finasteride daily. I rarely have an erection these days but have noticed when I have managed to 'get it up' that my penis has a very distinct curve (almost C shaped) When I climax there is no ejaculate fluid. I'm 69. Health is otherwise good.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Have you been tried on any other medicines for the prostate or the difficulty in achieving an erection?
Have you had any evaluation for the abnormal curve of the erect penis?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have not used any other medicines. Neither have I talked to my doctor about erection problems. My interest in sex has been steadily declining since about the age of sixty. I had a urinary tract infection early last year for which I was prescribed anti biotics. Later I was diagnosed with prostatitis for which I was prescribed more anti biotics. I was subsequently interviewed by a urologist who was satisfied that I had no serious issues to be concerned about. The 'bent' penis is a recent phenomenon.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a couple of considerations in this situation.

First, it would be appropriate to consider the use of daily Cialis (tadalafil). This is one of the primary medicines used for improvement of erectile dysfunction. In addition, there is evidence that daily tadalafil can help improve symptoms related to prostatic hypertrophy, particularly if the tamsulosin and finasteride do not achieve adequate control of symptoms. Therefore, this medicine may help both problems.

The absence of ejaculate fluid can occur with benign prostatic hypertrophy, but also can occur from the use of tamsulosin. For most men of this age this is not an issue; the only potential issue is for men that are wanting to father a child, but most men having problems with benign prostatic hypertrophy are past that stage of life.

The abnormal curve of the penis is typically due to fibrous tissue that forms in the penis, a condition called Peyronie disease. If the problem is mild and does not interfere with intercourse, then no treatment is needed, but if it is more significant, then there are a couple of options to consider, including a couple of over the counter options. Vitamin E supplementation is used for this and several other conditions that are related to increased deposition of fibrous tissue. Another supplement that may help is PABA (potassium aminobenzoic acid). If there are persistent significant symptoms despite these supplements, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor for consideration of other treatments.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you