How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9880
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

I get severe earache in right ear every 4-6 weeks. Really painful

This answer was rated:

I get severe earache in right ear every 4-6 weeks. Really painful to touch and throbs inside. It usually lasts one-two hours and then disappears.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Q. Do you have hearing loss in the right ear as compared to the left?

Q. Do you experience a fever when these episodes occur?

Q. Do you hear crackles in the right ear?

Q. Headaches?

Q. Do you have sinus porblems, congestion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No hearing loss

No fever

No crackles

No headaches

No sinus problems

Thanks for the reply, Sian.

Ear aches of that intensity coming on unexpected and without added symptoms of an infection or any pre requisites are usually due to:
Trigeminal neuralgia
This is a nerve related condition that causes severe and excruciating pain in the the nerve's distribution, the nerve affected is the trigeminal nerve and it supplies almost the whole face and the ear area.
I suggest that you discuss this with your PCP and get a referral to an ENT or a Dental Surgeon, both of them can treat Trigeminal Neuralgia.
Management is both medical as well as surgical.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
if you have more queries, reply back.
Dr Uzair and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you