How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35545
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I was stung by a bee or wasp on the cheek. My neck, under the

This answer was rated:

I was stung by a bee or wasp on the cheek. My neck, under the chin, has swollen, it's not painful, but uncomfortable. It has been 36 hours since I was stung, the swelling is not going away. I am a 53 yr old male. No trouble breathing. No pain. Just discomfort. Thankyou.
Hi--have you ever had this kind of reaction from an insect bite or sting before? Any difficulty swallowing and have you tried anything for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, never a reaction like this. This is the first time I can remember being stung in the face. No difficulty in swallowing. I haven't tried anything.

OK Bobby. By now if anything serious from this like airway compromise or swallowing problems were going to happen, they would have occurred long ago so I don't think you're in any danger here. You can try an antihistamine like benadryl or Claritin and that should resolve this but since I can't examine you I'm obligated to suggest you have a doctor examine you for any wheezing or other signs that this is not just a bothersome allergic reaction
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have Zyrtec that has cetirizine dihydrocloride 10 mg in each tablet. Is this a antihistamine ? No wheezing, etc. just a solid lump the size of a lime under my chin, lots of swelling.

Yes it is and that's fine. You should be fine Bobby but if this doesn't resolve in a day or two, you might need a course of prednisone from a doctor. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you