Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi Doctor, I am a 32 year old male and have hydrocephalus

Hi Doctor,

I am a 32 year old male and have hydrocephalus which was diagnosed in 1996. Since then I have had two VP Shunts the last was done in 2002. Also have epilepsy and take medication daily no seizures since 1999.

Since Sept I have an empty feeling inside my head above my eyes, they have also been very sore and sensitive to light. At times I feeling overwhelmed when there is too much noise around me which leads to me having difficulty walking and talking.

I have been for multiple scans and blood tests in Jan/Feb as the symptoms are getting much worse. Was admitted to hospital a week ago and had an ICP monitor in for 24 hours - then I was discharged and they say everything seems fine.

Living with the VP Shunt I am convinced it is not working correctly, especially noticed it when I move my head around when driving or at work. I don't really know where to go from here?

Any advice would be much appreciated as a condition I have lived with for years is now affecting my quality of life significantly.

Shane
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

What medicine are you taking now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sodium Valproate 650mg twice a day

Gapabentin 300mg twice a day

sorry about the late reply Shane

Could it be med related?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I strongly doubt it.

Been taking this medication since 1995 and never had issues.

What about new onset migraines
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know much about them but have tried taking pain medication for the empty feeling above my eyes.

The feeling is coupled with loss of concentration and fatigue - lately I have been getting up in the morning feeling like that.

Medication is paracetamol but it doesn't help.

I think you have migraine headaches Shane

This is common after things like shunt and brain surgery

I recommend a different medicine like propranolol or imitrex to help
I noticed you rated ok service

I strive for excellent every time

can I help further?
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.