How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

I have discomfort on the left side of my body around the rib

This answer was rated:

I have discomfort on the left side of my body around the rib area but often under the ribs and around to the back. What could cause that
Dear customer

Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Is there any discomfort/pain during urination?
Any tests done so far?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A couple of months. No pain during urination although I have a bladder problem which means I have to go frequently. Only blood tests which are fine

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The area you have described is called left hypochondrium(left upper quadrant) in medical terms.

Its most common causes are:renal calculi(kidney stone),gastric ulcer,pancreatitis,spontaneous splenic rupture,diseases of the colon,distension of the splenic flexure of the colon and some other rare causes.

Kidney stone can be a probable cause.Whenever there is a disharmony or breakdown between the two functions of the kidney(to conserve water and to eliminate the body's waste substances) it leads to the formation of stones.

Your existing bladder disease can also be a probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Complete urine examination
-Ultrasound of KUB area

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your urologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you