Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a PSA of 7 and had a Biopsy in June 2013,which shown

I had a PSA of 7 and had a Biopsy in June 2013,which shown NO CANCER the PSA dropped to 6 in September
but t blood test showed this month a PSA of 11 - a significant increase in a short time
Hi--first off what has your doctor said abut this and have you had an ultrasound of the prostate?

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

most PSA spikes up in a short period of time usually is a result of prostatitis or prostate infection or inflammation.

any sort of sex or prostate activity or prostate infection can cause the PSA to spike up to 11 or higher for a short period of time

usually a course of antibiotics and repeating the PSA in 1-2 months will show that it comes back down to a more normal range.

there is also controversy about using PSA as a screening tool to detect early prostate cancers in men over 70.

many doctors feel that it might not be beneficial to find early cancers because treating them at your age most likely will not make a big difference at your age

see here

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/choosing-wisely-medical-tests-to-avoid.html

let me know if yo have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician