How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19433
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Dear Gastroenterologist, My wife, Mrs Nana Mohammed Azarema,

This answer was rated:

Dear Gastroenterologist,
My wife, Mrs Nana Mohammed Azarema, residing in Abuja, Nigeria had stomach pains in year 2012. She realized that whenever she ate oily foods the stomach pains will start, usually preceded by headache and sometimes back ache. She visited a clinic in Dubai, the Iranian Hospital where they diagnosed ''stones in gall bladder''. The gall bladder had enlarged and became weak that the stones could not be removed, rather the bladder had to be cut off completely. During tests before the operation, the Doctors discovered that the patient had one month pregnancy, therefore after the operation, they did not give her any drugs, but asked her to return after delivery. The baby is already one year now, but the patient is yet to return to the Iranian Hospital, Dubai.

The patient's problem now is that whenever she eats anything with oil, fat, protein, sugar, she develops serious stomach pains which lasts several hours, sometimes nearly 24hrs. She now lives only on starchy food like rice, pasta, semovita, with little stew or none at all, then she would not experience the stomach pain. We cannot find a good clinic in Abuja, hence we are seeking for your advice, please.

Thank you very much.
Azarema Abdulkadir [email protected]
There is no Gastroenterologist currently online, but I would be glad to provide an answer to any medical questions if you do not want to wait (I notice that you state that the question is high urgency).
If so, it would help to clarify what medical information would be helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. D. Love, the answer I need is strictly on my question, therefore I will wait for the answer even if it takes a whole day, please.


Azarema A.

Your question clearly states the history of your wife's illness, but what information would be helpful is not as clear.

If you are asking what should be done, the answer is that she needs to have surgery for removal of the gallbladder. This is a procedure that typically would be done in a hospital rather than a clinic. She does not need to return to the same hospital, and virtually every general service hospital is able to provide this service. This is also not a procedure that would be done by a Gastroenterologist; it is typically done by a General Surgeon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr D. Love,

My wife had already undergone the surgery and the bladder had been removed at the Iranian Hospital, Dubai in 2012. Her problem now is that whenever she eats foods with oil, fats, protein, sugar, she will develop serious stomach pains which lasts for several hours before it stops. For over one year after the surgery, she was not experiencing the stomach pain untill recently, just about two months ago. Now she has lost alot of weight due to avoiding the types of food that give her the problem.


My inquiry now is what can she do to be relieved of this stomach pain?

Thank you.

Azarema A.

I'm sorry. I thought that you meant that they did not do the surgery when they discovered she was pregnant and asked her to return after delivery for the surgery and she never returned.

There are several steps that can be taken to try to help with this pain. Some people after gallbladder removal can get an irritation of the stomach (gastritis). It may help to use a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as Prilosec or Prevacid, as well as a medicine to line the stomach called Carafate. In most countries, only the Prilosec or Prevacid are available over the counter.

There are some people that may have recurrence of pain related to a problem in the bile duct where it enters into the small intestine. The usual approach is to perform an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography), a procedure by which the opening of the bile duct is entered through an endoscope and dye is injected into the bile and pancreatic ducts. If necessary, it is also possible to enlarge the opening of the bile duct to facilitate drainage. It is also possible to obtain images of these ducts using an MRI, called an MRCP, but if needed, the opening cannot be enlarged.

So, at this point, it would be appropriate to first try the Prilosec or Prevacid, and if the pain persists, consider the Carafate or the ERCP.

Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you