How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19453
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I require a doctor to complete the cop3 form for my wife who

This answer was rated:

I require a doctor to complete the cop3 form for my wife who has suffered a brain haemorhage and suffered significant brain damage. Please provide me with an alternative doctor. Thankyou.

Hello and welcome to just answer.
Question and answer site.

I am really not sure what your question is for us?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr. Thomas. My question is. Can you supply me with a doctor or put me in touch with a doctor who will assess my wifes mental capacity and complete the necessary cop3 form. Thankyou

You would need a psychiatrist.
If you want to stay within the NHS, she needs a referral from her GP

If she goes private she can probably go directly....

What is your plan?
simply use reply
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My plan is to go private and pay for the doctor to visit my wife and complete the cop3 form. I would like to know the cost prior to making arrangements for this service.

The cost will vary, but on average, this is going to be 100 to 150 pounds.

I don't know where you are exactly, but you might try these clinics.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My solicitor uses a doctor for completing cop3 forms, I feel unsure if a psychiatrist would be accepted, I do not want to waste my money on incorrect advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hope I am not being charged for every reply I make and that I am only paying for my initial question? I will enquire if the information you provided for me is correct and suitable for my wifes case. I will change my rating if answer given me proves correct.

I notice that you have opted out the other expert.

The instructions for the COP3 form says that any physician, including a Psychiatrist, can complete the form. It also can be completed by a Psychologist. The other expert mentioned a Psychiatrist because the courts in the US frequently desire a mental health assessment of mental status when considering a declaration of incompetence or guardianship. Certainly, with the history of a brain haemorrhage, another specialty to consider would be a Neurologist. But it also would be fine to ask whichever doctor has been taking care of her to complete the form, even if the only doctor that has been seeing her recently is her GP. I say this because it sounds like you are seeking a doctor to visit your wife in the home and it is frequently easier to get a GP to perform a home visit. From a medical perspective, an assessment by a specialist is usually only needed in complicated cases, and severe brain damage is usually relatively straightforward.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19453
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you