How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

My Partner, has just contracted Stiff Person syndrome, i have

Customer Question

My Partner, has just contracted Stiff Person syndrome, i have done some research and there seems very little research done on this for a cure.

But she was fine until she had her last overie removed, could this be the cause of the condition, and if it is how can i take this further to try and get further tests done. ?


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Sorry to hear about her problem.
Well, Stiff-person syndrome also, called a SPS or formerly called stiff-man syndrome is a rare condition. It would result in progressive muscle stiffness, rigidity, and spasm of muscles.

It is usually associated with other autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, thyroiditis, vitiligo, and pernicious anemia.
The exact cause, is still unknown, but researchers believe that it is the result of an autoimmune response.
Yes, one would experience trouble in walking and falling down.
As such removal of ovary, doesn't seems to have any relation with worsening of her symptoms, It can just be a co-incidence.

The first line of treatment is- Benzodiazepines like Diazepam.
There are also other forms of treatment like-
immunosuppresive therapy, plasmapharesis, IV immunoglobulin, ritximab.
Also use of anti-convulsants like gabapentin and tiagabine have found to be helpful.

She can start with a therapy- Plasmapharesis. In this method,
the antibodies and other proteins are removed from the blood, it s usually very helpful.

Also, I would make clear- that with appropriate treatment, the symptoms are usually well controlled.
She should be seen by Neurologist for management of this issue.

Good luck and Take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
How are you doing?
Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.

Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert