How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19465
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I started having consultation for a heart condition private

This answer was rated:

I started having consultation for a heart condition privately but treatment was not covered by that particular hospital, consequently my GP put my treatment on the NHS., the first set of tests initially for arrhythemia. This appointment took five months to come through and it was then discovered that I had a dilated right ventricle. The next CT scan took another 5 months. Now I need a transophagael echo and it is another 3-4 months. I am you will appreciate, extremely anxious about the situation and would like to see the consultant privately as the arthythemia has increased over time. Also I would like to know more about the condition and how serious it is. Anxiety is not helping the condition. I telephoned the consultants secretary and was told I may not see the consultant privately or seek to have the test privately because I am now an NHS patient. Your advice would be gratefully received. Kind regards, ***** *****

It will help if you could provide some further information:
What type of arrhythmia was said to be present?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is nearly a year since I spoke to the cardiac consultant about the arrhythmia I believe he told me that it came from the right ventricle and was nothing to worry about.This was prior to discovering through an ultrasound test that I had a dilated right ventrical .At this point I have had a ct scan on the lungs and.this came through clear . I don't know whether there is hypertension in the pulmonary artery or whether the arrhythmia is related to the ventrical problem .T he only thing I can tell you about the arrhythmia from the 24 hour monitor is that the heart. beats are in couplets and triplets At that time these occured only 4% of the time .Now it seems present much more of the time once occuring like a double beat It is strange though because in the last two weeks the heart beat has seemed mostly normal . I really would feel better if I could talk to my consultant to help me understand this condition better but I am told that as my treatment is on the NHS I cannot use my private medical insurance. Meanwhile the next test , a transosophageal echo in July has just been cancelled.


Awaiting with interest your kind reply,






Thank you for the additional information.

The presence of couplets and triplets is not a worrisome arrhythmia, by itself. People with frequent PVCs, couplets, and triplets are only a concern to the extent that there may be an underlying medical problem that is causing the arrhythmias. Yes, the right ventricular dilatation could be the cause of the arrhythmia, and the right ventricular dilatation should be evaluated, but the concern is with the ventricular dilatation, and the concern is not magnified by the presence of the arrhythmia. But this is why the Cardiac consultant said that the arrhythmia is nothing to worry about.

Therefore, at this point, the proper issue is to evaluate the right ventricular dilatation, as is being done, albeit slowly. As for whether there is any possible route by which it can be done more quickly by using your private insurance, that will depend upon how your insurance policy is written. It would be reasonable to discuss the situation with a customer service representative of the insurance company, and they can guide what route may be possible to achieve a more rapid evaluation. It may require seeing a completely different doctor, but the insurance representative can advise you.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
This question appeared on the Question List again, but I do not see any follow-up question. If I can provide any further assistance, please let me know.