How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35493
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hi. I have had an issue for several months which is a red

Customer Question

Hi. I have had an issue for several months which is a red sore penis head (not foreskin) I originally went to the gum clinic and they have confirmed it is not an std. I went back to the doctor who said it was mild thrush. I have been using canesten cream on and off and not sure either way whether it is working. I have been managing the symptons by avoid sex completely. The symptons are fairly mild but don't seem to go completely but do flair up when I masturbate albeit I have limited this to once to twice per week. When I have refrained for masturbating for say a week it looks much better albeit it returns after this activity. I am at a loss what to do next. As I mentioned the symptons are mild albeit I am managing them. I would like to get referred to a dermatologist but I suspect the doctor won't want to do this - given the symptons are mild. And suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--could you post a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Peter And your saying that this sort of comes and goes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has never fully gone. It does get to a point where you can barely see it on the surface, but can just about see it below the skin (I think). It then comes back after masturbation - so I'm assuming it hasn't fully gone

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Peter. I don't think this is fungal or yeast as in thrush. This looks like an eczema problem and canesten cream wouldn't help that. Try a cortisone containing cream for a week and if that doesn't help ask your doctor for a prescription strength cortisone cream
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there a cortisone cream that you would recommend? Not sure why masturbation would aggreviate the problem. Is it better to abstain for a week. Sorry meant to mention there is no itching at all. But it is fairly sore - don't know if this changes anything

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Friction can aggravate this and just any over the counter cortisone cream will do--they're all basically the same in strength and quality. Use the cream and no masturbation for a week and let me know how it goes. And, Peter, please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure