How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19448
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Substance abuse

Customer Question

Substance abuse
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
What is your question about substance abuse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am abusing alcohol and coacaine

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
What is your question about the abuse of alcohol and cocaine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm suffering from incest abuse



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot commit to relationship due to childhood incest


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert taking time to reply
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I am still waiting for you to tell me what question you are asking?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I had asked for clarification of what question you are asking and have not heard back. There are many potential issues that may arise in the management of substance abuse, so it is difficult to know what information you are seeking without specifying what question you are asking. However, some general comments can be made.

It is clear that anyone with substance abuse should quit using the substances (alcohol and cocaine in your case). There are a number of programs that can be used for this, and it is largely dependent upon the individual which program would be better. AA is the most commonly used support group, but you may need to discuss with your primary care physician what other resources are available in your community.

However, in someone with substance abuse that is also associated with a history if incest abuse, it is also likely that individual counselling may be necessary. Your primary care physician can also refer you to resources in your community for individual counselling.

If you are asking a question that is not addressed by the general comments, please let me know.