How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9571
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

Hi have a cyst like lump approx 5cm above my hip on the left

This answer was rated:

Hi have a cyst like lump approx 5cm above my hip on the left hand side of my stomach sore to touch and feels just like a little ball thanks jonathan
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Q. When did the cyst appear or when did you notice it?

Q. Is it under the skin or attached to the skin?

Q. Can you send a picture of it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi it's under the skin it's not visible to look at just touch abit tender around the area
And how long have you had this for?

Is it soft or rubbery?

Is it mobile?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its abit rubbery it isn't mobile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I noticed it yesterday for the first time
Thanks for the details.

Since you noticed it yesterday and it is tender and not mobile, also has a rubbery characteristic, this could be folliculitis or follicular cyst that can occur when a hair follicle gets blocked or infected. These usually inflamme for a couple of day and then develop a discharge and ultimately, subside.
However, sometimes, they keep getting inflammed, antibiotics might be required and if they do not discharge or turn in to an abscess (a collection of pus) then you need to have them lanced or drained in the Urgent care or an Emergency.
Lumps and bumps are clinical diagnosis and they should be seen by a doctor for a proper and pin point diagnosis.
I would suggest that you have this seen by a Physician at an ER or at an Urgent Care so that if antibiotics are required, they can start them early for an early resolution.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems as though it's attached to the muscle does that still fit in with your diagnosis thanks jonathan
Thanks for the reply.
Attachment to the muscle can not be judged easily, a clinician needs to perform certain tests. If a deep lump gets tight and immobile on palpation when the muscle is contracted then it is attached to the muscle. If a lump gets bigger in size when a muscle is contracted then it means that it is over the muscle and if a lump disappears with the muscle contracted then it means that it is under the muscle.
The area you specify has muscle lying very deep under the skin, the subcutaneous tissue and then 2 layers of abdominal fat, so, if you can feel the lump then that means that either it is not attached to the muscle or it is big enough now for you to feel and this warrants a visit to the Urgent Care or an ER.
If this is attached to the muscle then folliculitis is not the case, it might be a lipoma or a lump that requires further tests like a fine needle biopsy for a diagnosis.
That said, I think speculating a diagnosis of a lump based on a history is not fair and this should be examined by a physician otherwise, speculations will cause anxiety without a proper conclusion.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Dr Uzair and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you