How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Hi, I am a little worried about sudden inflamation of a finger

Customer Question

I am a little worried about sudden inflamation of a finger like nettle sting* but did not remember touching nettles or getting a sting from wasp etc. Worried that it might be a blood clot? It happened yesterday evening - still some stiffness (inflamation) this evening.

Most worrying is the discolouration in interdigital area along most of length of finger. I am 59, male. I was working at farm work just before it happened. (I was handling chemicals for dosing cattle but wearing gloves though some chemicals may have touched skin?) Looking up the Internet there are some terrible diseases with such symptoms!

The discolouration of skin is unusual for me though nettles can produce hives redness...with me. It may result from a minor injury which I do not remember sustaining at the farm work?

I have a feeling the redness may turn to green etc like a black eye type injury before returning to normal? Or is it something worse. Should I go see a doctor ....?

Tom, Roscommon, Ireland

* While I do not remember touching living nettles I did handle hay which may well have nettles I did not notice
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is most likely a contact/allergic type reaction.
If so, it will resolve.

Infection will spread, so if it spreads, you need a doctor.

Other conditions can cause this, such as arthritis. It can cause skin changes.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].