How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36111
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I was diagnosed with symptomatic diverticular disease January

This answer was rated:

I was diagnosed with symptomatic diverticular disease January this year. Since then I have experienced varying degrees of abdominal pain 24/7, I'm finding it difficult to cope with this my GP has referred me to a psych team for counselling but I really need to get the pain under control - would a pain clinic be able to help me and does bowel pain usually last this long?
Hi. How was the diverticulitis diagnosed and can you tell me more about the pain you're having now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After several visits to GP and hospital finally diagnosed after colonoscopy, diverticulae throughout whole colon with narrowing and tortuisity. The pain I'm getting is lower abdominal cramps pretty constant and at times really bad, I seem to get relief from the pain by laying down but can't do that all the time.

OK Valerie--have you had a recent ct scan of the abdomen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes showed some gynae probs a small fibroid, polyps and a retroverted uterus, also high level of estrogen maybe due to taking HRT . Polyps will be removed in June. Apart from that all normal, blood count was 14.7 which I'm told is good.

OK Valerie--so are you asking if perhaps different medications and maybe other treatments would be appropriate for this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes grateful for any advice. My GP just wants to up the painkillers but I don't want to be in a permanent "fog" , can't believe this has been going on for 5mths I just want to get back to something of a normal life again.

I understand Valerie. You need to see a pain specialist for two reasons. There are other medications that would help with this that wouldn't put you in a fog like Lyrica and Celexa. Also I think part of this is a spinal problem and I would get an MRI of your thoracic and lumbar spine since a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--can devise a custom treatment program to also help relieve you pain
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks very much I do have a lower back problem so that makes sense! Good advice, thank you

My pleasure Valerie but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you