How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35508
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

For the last three years I have gone for a time of 11 months

This answer was rated:

For the last three years I have gone for a time of 11 months without having a period. Then on the 12th month I will have a small period. I will be 60 in July. There is a family history of the women, on my Mothers side having periods till quite late so I wasn't unduly worried. I have spoken to some Nurses about this, who have told me that they feel that it's OK but slightly unusual. I have had a scan, which has shown nothing at all. Now I have found out that my G.P. Has written to a Consultant {unknown to me,} who now want's to see me ASAP. I find that the way that this has been handled deeply distressing. I'm also under an Endocrine clinic, but have been told there is no connection. I eat a healthy diet. Please can you advise me. Many thanks. Ruth.
Hi--I assume the consultant will be a gynecologist? Do you have any idea why your GP suddenly decided to get the referral--for example was this after a PAP smear or blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I have had blood test's. I have no idea when my GP wrote to the Consultant who is a gynaecologist. I was under the strong impression that I would have the blood test's then go to a local clinic which specialise in sexual health. [There is no question, at all that there is a sexual health question.] It is just because of their speciality in Gyni problems that's all. Totally bewilder by events that are happening. Getting deeply distressed by the events.

I understand Ruth--just one last question first--when was your last PAP smear? And what did you mean by a sexual health question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I had my last smear test about 5 years ago. Everything was fine. The Clinic that my GP was going to send me to specialise in gyni problems.

OK. I understand. I don't see why your doctor didn't discuss the referral for you but if the scan was normal I really can see no reason for the referral unless the blood work included a CA 125 test which is a marker for ovarian cancer. If that level were elevated it might indicate that you have ovarian cancer but with the normal scan that would seem to indicate that cancer isn't the case for you. The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is I really don't think you need worry about this but it would have been appropriate for your doctor to have informed you of his thoughts without simply writing for the referral so I suggest you contact him to get more information.
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for the advice. I just don't understand the drama which is most unusual from my G.P. Who is a very good Doctor. I have not lost weight, if anything I have gained weight, which I put down to my endocrine condition. I would just like to know roughly what the Consultant will want to know and why do I have to suddenly see him when there was no mention of a Consultant on my visit to my G.P. Do you feel that I will have to have treatment which frightens me or just go on a medication to settle things down.

Many thanks Ruth.

You might only need hormone replacement therapy Ruth. The consultant would only want to know about your unusual period cycle and he would want to do a pelvic exam and a PAP smear
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I just want to thank you for your time and advice. Still feel stressed, but getting to unwind a bit.

Best wishes. Ruth.

London. UK.

My pleasure Ruth but let me know how it goes and call on me any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Chip.
I just wanted to update you on what's happening to me. For the last few day's I have been incredibly stressed. This is partly due to the fact that I have anxiety problems due to the fact that I have a Pituitary illness called Cushing's and, that anxiety is a side effect. I have been naturally stressed, and, I have been stressed by the way that everything has been handled. I have now decided to be in control of the situation. I have done the following ; I have made a complaint to the Hospital over the way things have been handled. I have made an appointment to talk with the Practise Nurse at my G.P. And, I have written to my Endocrine Consultant updating him on what's happened. I know that the reality is that, I will have to have test's to sort things out. But I will insist on being a overnight in-patient and being knocked out for the test's due to my level's of anxiety. Believe it or not, I'm a very level headed person.
Best wishes. Ruth