How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4823
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

If I have had lots of problems with drugs and 4 weeks ago i

This answer was rated:

If I have had lots of problems with drugs and 4 weeks ago i went to hospital from overdose I can claim for help financially as cant work due to my addiction and recovery?
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Yes, you can qualify for disability if you have a medical disorder due to your drug use and/or the recovery process. These include depression, anxiety and other illnesses You cannot be certified solely on the basis of addiction as a reason for not working.

Here is a link to the guidelines and the illnesses under which you would qualify. If you are being treated for any of these you may be able to get help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i claim ESA (Employment and support allowance) instead of JSA (job seekers allowance)?

Yes you can. You will have to go for a work capability assessment while your application is pending.
Dr. K. and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you