How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ken Your Own Question
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6559
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Ken is online now

I am a women of 54 ,have is very uncomfortable , stings

Customer Question

I am a women of 54 ,have sex is very uncomfortable , stings and burns ,my husband also finds it burns him as well ,what could it be
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Burning during sexual act indicates irritation of the vaginal mucosa. This can be due to varies causes like - Loss of normal moisture {due to menopause}/ Abnormal contraction of the vaginal muscles/ Infections/ Abnormality at the cervix {cervicitis}/ abnormality at the uterus {fibroid}/ Endometriosis/ hormonal issues, extra.

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ ultrasound of abdomen would give us more answers.

Once a diagnosis is made treatment can be started. As of now try water based lubricants/ go through the act slowly and with patience {foreplay helps}. Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking.

Wish you well.