How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35582
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have a discomfort just below my ribs on my right hand side,

This answer was rated:

I have a discomfort just below my ribs on my right hand side, I went to the Dr and was prescribed anti inflammatorys but they finished over a month ago and the pain is still there. Sometimes the pain spreads to my back or to my chest but normally it jus remains on my RHS below the ribs
Hi--did your doctor do any tests or studies to see what the problem might be? What did he tell you he thought was going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He listened to my chest and ask what the pain felt like, he did not tell me what he thought it was although he did say it wasn't an infection. When the pain first started it felt like a belt around my body was being tightened but now it's more concentrated to the area I described
OK Steven--are you tender in that area? Any nausea or fever with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I'm not tender and no nausea or fever
OK Steven--and we can continue after this if you need to. This sounds like a gall bladder problem and you may have gall stones so I would get either an ultrasound or a ct scan of the abdomen to check for that. Other possibilities would be pancreatitis or perhaps a peptic ulcer so I would check your amylase and lipase blood levels and I would also screen you for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug. You need to revisit your doctor and discuss all that with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it serious?
Well, if you have gallstones and are still having problems from those you need to have your gallbladder taken out on an urgent but not an emergent basis. Pancreatitis can be very serious. An ulcer--not so serious but it needs diagnosing. Talk to your doctor and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The reason for my concern is that it took 6 wks to get the first appointment where he provided anti inflammatorys and I have been trying to get a 2nd appointment for the last month, I have called his surgery everyday and as I work from home I'm able to accept any appointment but they always say he's fully booked and they can't book to far in the future! What should I do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it serious enough to go straight to a hospital about?
Well, short of seeing another doctor your only other option would be to go to the Emergency Room and I think you should do that
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you