How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ken Your Own Question
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6559
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Ken is online now

Hi I am 25 years old and have been experiencing pain when

This answer was rated:


I am 25 years old and have been experiencing pain when I get an erect penis. The pain only occurs when my penis is erect. The pain is around the upper side of the base of the penis head. The pain occurred two weeks ago and I had sex and chose to ignore it. I decided to rest for two weeks but the pain is still there and hurts a little more now. Any thoughts on what this could be?


I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Are there associated symptoms like abnormal penile curvature/ swelling over the region of pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ken

No, when erect I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Last night I was about to have sex, after not doing anything for two weeks, but then as I was getting erection I felt sort of a cracking like sensation that was very painful at the base of the penis head. The pain stopped me from continuing having sex.

Thank you for that additional information.

I am happy that there is no swelling or abnormal curvature.

Pain at penis when erect needs to be further evaluated for sure. I would consider few causes - Fibrosis at the penile tissue {Pyronie's disease- this may be seen as abnormal curvature BUT not always}. The cause of this is not well understood BUT trauma {rough sexual act} is considered one of the cause. Other possibility is blocked underlying penile vessel or sinus {clot}. Mild inflammation of the urethra may also be the cause {less likely though}.

Next step - a physical evaluation {Urologist is preferred} along with few investigations like blood and urine tests and color Doppler for penis {to look for fibrosis and blood supply} should give us more answers.

Till than - Avoid sexual act/ Ibuprofen should give relief from pain and discomfort. have balanced diet and adequate fluid.

Please do not worry.

Ken and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you