How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

How can I find a urologist interested in female urological

This answer was rated:

How can I find a urologist interested in female urological problems beyond proscribing anti-biotics? I am having ever increasing UTI's. I am allergic to penicillin and the available oral antibiotics, Cephalexin and ciprifloxacin, do not clear these infections any longer. My doctor is not happy for me to go the intravenous route unless it is the life and death decision. The urologists (2), seen locally, just shrug their shoulders and say there is nothing they can do.I feel they are more men's prostrate orientated. The hospital microbiologist has suggested perhaps deeper exploration of the cause of the situation might be helpful and so how do I find a private, or NHS, consultant suitable for my needs in East Anglia?
Hello, this is Dr Helen, a UK doctor.

Are you able to get to Cambridge fairly easily? There is a specialist urology centre there called the Cambridge Urology Partnership. They have a very comprehensive centre and you will find their website here:

and this page is specifically about infections and the kind of treatments and investigations they do.

As they are a private clinic there are no restrictions on having to live within certain postcodes in order to attend and they cover the whole of East Anglia.

I hope this helps,
Best wishes.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 24 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I have already explored this website before making my approach to your group. Though they talk of infections etc at length, none of the partners makes it a speciality in their 'about me'. They all have a passion for prostrate and none in the female problems. This is why I asked the question.


I have used google to try to suss the answer. What I need is someone with access to professional information not available to me surfing the internet, to help me find someone who will see beyond my current situation, which is that we have run out of anti-biotic treatment orally. No-one is actually exploring the reasons why these infections are happening in spite of the tests run.


e.g.when I pass urine it was noticed there is a washback to the kidneys...surely that needs further investigation...etc


Hope you can take my query about progressing from antibiotics to further understanding, not just give me the address of any old urologist!!! Got the tee shirt for that.

Thanks *****

This is a different expert
Have you had a cystoscopy?
What findings
Urodynamic studies...any other findings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have had a cystoscopy and urodynamic tests, which will be available to the right consultant. As far as I can tell, the answers were to up the antibiotics. They avoided addressing such issues as the wash back of the urine to the kidneys for example, or why the infections are re-occurring or not being cleared by the anti-biotics.


The Ipswich microbiologist is suggesting perhaps further exploration as to the causes needs to be done. As a private patient I want to find a consultant who will take me to the next level of exploration not just repeat all that has gone before and then abandon me because he cant recommend a relevant anti-biotic


Thanks *****

What part of the UK are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

East anglia and have seen urologists in Ipswich and Colchester who walk away after saying there are no further anti-biotics they can recoemmend

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is getting late. Can we continue with this discussion to-morrow. I thought it a simple enquiry but there seems difficulty in understanding my need for a specific referral


We are not going to give you a personal referral, as we have no connection to specific doctors outside of our question and answer site.

However, I can help you track down a urologist that meets your needs and I will tell you the process....
When you come back, let me know what region you are in specifically; that would help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used the wrong term. I know you cant make a referral. My question is I need help to find the right sort of urologist beyond using google.


I am in East Anglia but will travel for the right help. This has been ongoing for thirty years and getting worse recently.


I have seen urologists in Ipswich and Colchester who lose interest when anti-biotics dont work. The microbiologist in Ipswich suggested I look for a deeper approach to the problem

I would call here

2014 The Royal College of Surgeons of England
35-43 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PE
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7405 3474
Registered Charity no: 212808

Ask to talk with the urology division, directors office.

Tell them the exact situation and the problems you are having.

Ask specifically for someone that deals with recurrent infections in women.

This is a more inside way of getting the correct referral.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a professional body and they are unable to recommend what steps I should take.


From my own personal searching I am beginning to wonder if I should be looking for a urogynaecologist as this would seem more suitable for my needs. I have located some in East Anglia. These specialists are more dedicated to the female needs than the broadbrush urologist.


I am disappointed you were unable to help me find this solution and feel your service is too superficial for my needs. I think £26 is too much to pay after solve the problem for myself!


DR E D Gordon




They should however have a referral list if I am not mistaken.
A urogynecologist is fact it might be far more comprehensive than what you have tried, and they will have more interest in the underlying problems that might contribute to this problem.

Further questions....let me know