How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36158
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hi I have some small red smooth & slightly raised blister

This answer was rated:

I have some small red smooth & slightly raised blister looking marks on the base of the glans of my penis. I am circumcised and have been screened for STI's which are all clear. They have increased from initially one to four red round marks now and have been there for over a month, I have washed the area regularly with Dermol shower gel but they are not fading at all. I wondered what it might be and how to get rid of them. They don't really itch and are not painful and no fluid leeks from them.

Hi Can you describe them a little more please? What exactly do you mean by blister-looking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks that helps greatly. These look like molluscum contagiosa--not an STD but a virus similar to the one that causes common warts on people's fingers. They aren't serious and they usually resolve on their own within a few months. They can be treated with tretinoin cream which can be obtained over the counter or in a stronger prescription strength.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou, should I stop using cortopin & dermol? Also is there any risk to my partner with oral / vaginal sex?

No risk to your partner and the cortopin and dermol won't be effective so you can stop them. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure that these are the same as molluscum contagiosa as they are not in the slightest bit hard and are just as soft as the surrounding skin and almost flush with the glans not noticeably raised at all. There doesn't appear to be any fluid in them just looks like a red shiny circle that fades when you stretch the skin and they are not in clusters - the size of each one is probably about 5 - 7 mm. My GP is not sure and says they look non specific. Is there any other possibility?


Well the other possibility would be balanitis--a yeast infection and still not an STD. That can be treated with Lotrimin cream twice a day for two weeks. I can only go by your photos but you could try the Lotrimin and if that takes care of them then it is balanitis. Just to let you know there is no fluid inside molluscum and on the photos these do look somewhat raised to me
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** it's not an STD as I've never had this before and panicked when they first appeared and got tested! I appreciate it's not easy to diagnose from a photo so your help is appreciated.


I have some anti fungal Clorimazole 1% cream at home, is this the same as Lotrimin?


I guess the same question if it is Blanitis, is there any risk to my partner with oral / vaginal sex?


Thanks again

Yes--that's the same as Lotrimin so you can use that and still no risk to your partner. Please remember to rate my service and let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question!!

How long can they take to go if I apply the right cream & will they go / how long will it take if I do nothing?



If it's balanitis, two weeks of the cream twice a day should take care of it. If molluscum, about the same time. As I said the molluscum can go away on their own but balanitis may not resolve on its own
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you