How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36066
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hi, my son suffers with acute anxiety and panic attacks, he

This answer was rated:

Hi, my son suffers with acute anxiety and panic attacks, he is prescribed diazepam10mg per day along with sertraline. he cannot take beta blockers due to his history of asthma. He also has ocd related to contamination and suspicions of being poisoned. He has a history of alcohol abuse, which is now to a minimum . the hospital macc general originally prescribed the diazepam reducing to the 10mg as a maintenance dose. he can just about cope with this amount, but his gp has started to reduce these due to the addictive nature. He constantly asks to see a psychiatrist, but has been referred for cbt therapy, long waiting list. He recently is starting to become more aggressive verbally and physically.he doesn't leave the house unless he drinks alcohol, so chooses to stay home,to prevent this. What do you suggest ? many thanks.
Hi--has he spoken to his GP about a possible substitute for the diazepam?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing offered ? what substitute would you suggest

I would try either klonipin, tranxene, or ativan as alternatives that don't have the same addiction potential to diazepam. I would also consider Effexor as a better treatment for his problem. He needs to talk to his GP about these other considerations
Dr. Chip and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you