How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35589
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hi My partner is 53 and diabetic! Hence on usual medication/diet

Customer Question

Hi My partner is 53 and diabetic! Hence on usual medication/diet control. About 3 weeks ago went to the loo to pass urine and passed what he thought was a blood clot. Was followed by some pain when passing urine in the following days. GP said bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics. No further passing of blood. Happened again yesterday however he didn't have pain but said this time the blood took on the shape of sperm? He went to A & E locally and told them of his first experience. They asked about over energetic sex and exercise, neither of which he had done for 4/5 days. They took blood and prescribed antibiotics. He went back to his GP today who said again bladder infection and keep taking the tablets. I think he should see a specialist to put his mind at rest or is this a common thing??
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just one question please--what did you mean by his blood taking on the shape of sperm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Small lumps of blood with a tail? That's how he described it. Last time he wondered if he was passing a kidney stone because he described it as eye wateringly painful. This time he had no pain. The GP said this morning that maybe it could be a urinary tract infection. But what would cause this and how do we stop it happening again. He is on medication and wondered if anything to do with the protein in his blood ??? I still think we should pay and see a specialist. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Heather. This indeed needs a urologist. While it could be just a prostate gland infection it could possibly be a sign of prostate cancer or testicular cancer or bladder cancer. He needs a prostate finger examination and ultrasound and an ultrasound of the testicles and pelvis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I will make him see a specialist a.s.a.p.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Heather but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you