How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19433
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I need help to stop drinking. Trying to go cold turkey but

Customer Question

I need help to stop drinking. Trying to go cold turkey but finding it difficult
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
We are unable to provide treatment through this web site.
We are only able to provide information in answer to questions.
What information would be helpful to you in this situation?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I had asked for clarification of what information would be helpful and have not heard back, so will give some general information, and if more specific information would be helpful, please let me know.

The management of someone having difficulty getting off alcohol is dependent upon the specific situation. Someone with more severe acute withdrawal will typically need to be managed in a hospital setting. Someone with less severe withdrawal symptoms may be able to be managed at home.

If the difficulty in staying off alcohol has more to do with craving the alcohol, rather than acute withdrawal symptoms, there are a couple medicines that can be used, but the most common initial management is with a social support system, such as AA.

If your situation is such that you need medicine for withdrawal symptoms or to help with cravings, then it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor, or if having significant withdrawal symptoms, it would be better to be seen in A&E. Contacting and participating in AA is an intervention that you can do without having to first see your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.