How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hasan Your Own Question
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8751
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Hasan is online now

I have developed persistent ringing in my ears thanks to

This answer was rated:

I have developed persistent ringing in my ears thanks to I have decided to stop and go on mirtazapine will this go away? please help!!
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. When exactly you developed this and after how many days after starting citalopram? Have you seen any doctor after that? Any hearing tests done? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I started citalopram 3 weeks ago nearly 2 weeks on 10mg then as soon as I increased developed ringing in ears, headaches, seeing stars had the problem for about a week
Katie thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am myself an ENT specialist so I deal with these issues. It is not necessary that it will go away. It might go or might not go but there are measures which can make the ringing go away. Visit an ENT specialist and get hearing tests done. If there is decrease in your hearing levels, your doctor can prescribe you steroids and betahistine tablets both and they can help you a lot in getting normal again. If there is no hearing lose, your doctor can prescribe you tab betahistine only. Betahistine is a drug which increases blood supply to the inner ear (part of ear from where ringing arises). It has helped many of my patients and can help you too. Starting mirtazapine has nothing to do with ringing. If you can't visit ENT soon, then see your GP to get betahistine at least. If nothing is possible then check your pharmacy for Ginkgo biloba supplement. It can be helpful in such cases. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you