How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 49154
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

My mother is in a nursing home in Chertsey in Surrey. The

Customer Question

My mother is in a nursing home in Chertsey in Surrey.
The question is should she need a drip for rehydrating, can it be done privately at the nursing home?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. There should be no problem with her having the intravenous rehydration done by the nurses at the home so long as a doctor orders it. A doctor doesn't have to be present for that to be done. Just check it out with the nursing home staff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The protocol of the home is that there own nurses can not do drips unless a doctor is present. The staff at the home suggested we investigate the idea that if we pay, a private medical company would come to the home and deal with the drip. Do you have any contacts for such a service please?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Elaine Let me opt out and see if another expert can help you with that. Please don't respond until he comes on
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I see the other expert has opted out

yes, you can pay for private nurses to come to your home, but they would still need a doctors orders to give IV fluids.

IV fluids sounds simple enough, however, too much fluids can cause the heart to become fluid overloaded and can cause electrolyte imbalances.

so she needs to be assessed by a doctor for simple things like IV fluids.

some doctors will make house calls, but most will not. so she still has to leave the house and be seen by a GP doctor to be determined if she needs IV fluids if she is not cooperating and not drinking like she should be.

does this help answer your question?

do you have any other questions?