How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35545
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I have had iron deficiency/anaemia for eight yrs now and wanted

This answer was rated:

I have had iron deficiency/anaemia for eight yrs now and wanted to be referred to a hematologist to deal with it once and for all and my gp refuses to refer me. Is this just tough or would they not be able to help? (feeling breathless and weak and fed up).
Hi--first off have you had studies like upper and lower endoscopy to see what may be causing the anemia?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope, no studies though I have terrible periods. I was told to reduce the iron and omeprozol after one month of taking them as "we don't like to prescribe omeprozol without knowing what is causing the dyspepsia" but was offered no way of finding out.

OK Julie--it could just be your periods but you should be checked for gastritis or a peptic ulcer that might be causing the blood loss. As for a hematologist, the only thing he could do is maybe put you on iron injections to bypass the problem you're having with oral iron supplements
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it's one of those unexplained things what can I do about the stomach pain? That's if he will actually refer me to see if there is a cause. I don't know if he can just refuse when the problem has been going on for so long.

Why exactly are you on the omeprazole and can you tell me more about the stomach pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I get pain every day with my tum. It is a burning sensation which can only be relieved by eating and gaviscon. Half the time I don't want the food but I know the pain will increase rapidly if I don't get something in there quick. Gaviscon works pretty well but I don't think that is really a long term solution and I'm putting on weight eating when I don't need food. My mother had these problems and died still with them. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life avoiding certain foods and drinks because they cause bad reactions with my tum. Strangely my husbands fiery chilli has no effect whatsoever and no I do not have a spicy diet.Also I drink water mainly but even a cup of mildly hot water can set it off. Non smoker too.

OK Julie. You need to see a gastroenterologist for the upper scope and I would also screen you for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug, but you don't have to have an ulcer with it. Sounds like you have both a reflux and a gastritis problem and you could also have a peptic ulcer. H pylori can be eradicated with two antibiotics and that might be all you need but you may need to add carafate to the omeprazole.
Dr. Chip and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have H pylori. I actually did have a test for that. Ok, I will try for a gastroenterologist referral. Thanks for your help and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

My pleasure Julie but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you