How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58678
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

My husband recently saw a Psychiatrist who has prescribed a

This answer was rated:

My husband recently saw a Psychiatrist who has prescribed a new pain relief tablet, not ure of spelling but thinks it is Deloxatrine. He said before he could start taking it he needed to see his GP about reducing his citalopram and mirtazapine until he was weaned off. He saw his GP who told him to stop taking the mirtazapine immediately and start reducing the citalopram over the next few weeks. My husband did this and spent two weeks in excruciating pain and felt suicidal. He tried making an appointment to see the GP about this on four occasions but they had no appointments available so he waited until he saw the Psychiatrist again. The Psychiatrist was aghast that my husband had been told to stop the mirtazapine and said untold further damage could now have been done. We wrote a letter asking for an explanation from the GP but the surgery have replied that they basically cannot assist as the GP in question has now left the surgery. If she wishes to respond to us directly she can. What sort of recourse should we take, bearing in mind that we have no idea of what further damage has been done.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Has he been examined to see if there has been any damage please?


No, but he is seeing his Psychiatrist again in the next couple of weeks (awaiting appointment letter) where he will be sure to ask what likely damage could have been done. Notwithstanding this, he spent two weeks in agonising pain. Can I ask why you have responded to this question and not a medical expert?

Alex Watts :

You put this in legal and not medical.

Alex Watts :

Do you want a medical opinion and not legal?


I'm pretty sure I chose medical as I wanted a medical opinion on the withdrawal of mirtazapine and what recourse we have against the GP who made my husband suffer. What category do you think it belongs in?

Alex Watts :

OK - let me ask for it to be transferred to medical for you. I can only give you legal advice!


Ok thanks

Alex Watts :

Welcome. No need to reply to me as it comes back to my inbox. Someone else will be along shortly.

Alex Watts :

All the best

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

thanks for this question

can you tell me what dose of all the meds he was taking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

45mg mirtazapine and 20mg citalopram


I'm very sorry this happened

The GP definitely should have told them to wean off slowly

I would have recommended decreasing mirtazapine by 15 mg per week for a total of 3 weeks then stop

And then after he was off the other med could be weaned

stopping them abruptly is dangerous

It won't cause any long term damage but certainly becoming suicidal is the great fear and this was realized.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it worth pursuing a claim for medical mis-prescription do you think? My husband feels very let down and angry at the pain and suffering he endured. He feels someone should be held responsible. What are your thoughts?

I think this was clearly negligence by the doctor but if no long term serious problem resulted from this then it will be hard to have a successful claim.

Luckily he is okay

Again, I'm sorry this happened.
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58678
Experience: GP in the United States
Dr. Phil, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you