How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35539
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hi, I am enquiring about health legal advice, hope you are

Customer Question

Hi, I am enquiring about health legal advice, hope you are able to help? (long one, im sorry)

I besically have been getting servere migraines for the past year, which have been getting worse and worse to the point that I am getting them on a daily basis and keep having dizzy spells because of this. I have been to the local walk in centre and they have advised that this may be a swelling in the brain, but gave me some pain killers and said to go to see the GP first thing to get referred to the neurologist. I have since been to the GP multiple times and kept him informed that my simptoms are getting more and more servire and they keep giving me different pain killers but not doing anything else. I was then recently referred to Adenbrookes neurologist. The GP however has since cancelled that appointment and said that they are going to try doing something else instead of getting it investigated, however not giving me a reason why they wont get it investigated. They have hinted that this is becuase of the cost to the NHS however will refuse to give me a proper explanation. After speaking with a family member about this, they have suggested that it could be a case for medical negligence. I was however looking for some advice on this please if you are able to help? If not, would you be able to point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. Jodie
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--one simple question here--has your GP considered getting an MRI of your brain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Jodie--that wasn't an answer--I just wanted a little more information before I answered your question. So you haven't had the MRI?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

It is hard to prove medical negligence unless permanent damage occurs. This is rarely reassuring to the patient. In your case, that would be you. I am very sorry about this.

Sometimes the medical system in the UK is highly disconcerting to me. In the US, this would have already been seen by a neurologist and an MRI would have been done.

I think that is what you need.

And if there is increased pressure a spinal tap is indicated to check for pressure

I'm very sorry you are going through this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi again. I'm the first expert that was trying to help you. At least the MRI is something that should be agreed to by the NHS and your GP can at least order that. If something is seen in the MRI then there should be no problem with the neurology referral. If your GP refuses the MRI then that would be a case for medical negligence and you should obtain the services of a lawyer.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--may I ask why the poor rating--was there more information you needed?