How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 36097
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

Hello I am wondering if someone can answer my question before

This answer was rated:


I am wondering if someone can answer my question before I go and visit my own GP.

I am a male of 33 and have recently noticed a lump in my right breast. The lump is hard and can be quite painful at times, in fact, this is what drew me to the lump in the first place. I convinced myself it was a bone I was feeling but I am sure it is not and the fact that there is pain makes me more concerned. The pain is only there sometimes too and is not constant.

There is no obvious change to my breast, no nipple discharge or changes and no dimpling of the skin or anything - although I cannot be 100 per cent sure on this due to chest hair. I have no history of breast cancer in my family but I know men can get breast cancer. I first noticed this 2 months ago but it is really playing on my mind now - the pain also seems to be spreading towards my armpit.

Thank you
Hi--if this is actually in the breast--under or very near the nipple then it is a true breast lump and yes men can get breast cancer but that usually isn't tender. Since men have breast tissue they can also get mastitis just like women--an infection inside the breast tissue ducts. I don't think there's much of a chance this is cancer but of course it needs examination and a mammogram. You may just need antibiotics to resolve this. You mentioned chest hair and if there's any redness to this it could just be folliculitis--hair shaft infection. Finally it could be just a sebaceous cyst
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you