How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Mask Your Own Question
Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1435
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Mask is online now

Hi, i have a quite large swollen gland on my neck, right hand

This answer was rated:

Hi, i have a quite large swollen gland on my neck, right hand side, just under my chin - which is tender and sore to touch, it became noticeable 2 days ago, not getting any bigger, but soreness persists- don't want to waste time going to a walk in clinic - but concerned it is quite hard and sore - any advice ? just came back from a business trip to India so maybe just an infection i picked up ?

Welcome to Justanswer

This swelling, tenderness and soreness can be due a viral or bacterial infection of the lymph node (submandibular) or it may be an infected sebaceous cyst.

In cases of dehydration this can also be an inflammation of the salivary gland (Sialadenitis).

I am sorry but a visit to the doctor would actually not be a waste of time in this case. Since nothing specific can be said about the cause or the most probable disease.

Till the time that you are examined and investigated (according to the findings on the examination) you can go for cold compresses and OTC (Over the counter NSAIDS = Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) NSAIDs like Ibuprofen (Brufen) or Acetaminophen (Paracetamol).

Hope this helped you understand the situation :)

If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know instead of any rating.

Warm regards
Dr Mask and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you