How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19338
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

My husband suffers from A.S and fights it so vehemently! Of

Customer Question

My husband suffers from A.S and fights it so vehemently! Of late he has been suffering with terrific eye pains....he says it feels like a lump in the corner of his eye? The pain comes and goes but this morning it came on and he is in agony.....I'm tempted to just go to A&E!

Our doctor is a complete waste of space we are moving shortly and will be changing our doctor!

What should I do? I am concerned about things such as iritis.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If he is having eye pain that is causing agony, it would be better for him to be seen in A&E. There are several emergency conditions of the eye, including the iritis, that should receive prompt attention. The usual recommendation for who should be seen emergently is if the pain is severe, if there is associated loss or change in vision, or if there is other associated significant symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain. Since his pain is causing such agony, that would be considered severe pain, and it would be appropriate for him to be seen emergently.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pain although still there has calmed significantly it appears to come in waves
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
When you say that it comes in waves, how long does the severe pain last?
How long does the relief from pain last before another wave strikes?
Is he having any change in his vision, such as blurring or seeing halos around lights?
Is there any redness to the eyes?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

If he is having brief episodes of more severe pain with longer intervals of lesser symptoms, it would be less worrisome. But if he is have waves of more severe pain that is of greater duration, it still would be better to be seen emergently, even if there are intervals of lesser symptoms.

If he is having any visual changes, that also would be a sign that he should be seen emergently.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pain is very intermittent. It may be 24/48hrs till it happens again?! But it throbs and throbs for the hour or so then fades to a dull ache the eye waters and goes very red

Could not reply sooner as had no internet when received ur reply
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
This pattern is not as worrisome as if the severe pain were more persistent. However, it still would be appropriate for him to be seen relatively soon. Although it does not require that care be sought as emergently, if you do not trust his doctor to provide proper care, it may still be your best option to be seen in A&E, as it may be difficult to be seen first by an Ophthalmologist in a timely manner.