How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8808
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

I am in the west country I have a vertabrae which has slipped

Customer Question

I am in the west country I have a vertabrae which has slipped forward trapping nerves in both my legs and feet also badly affecting my pelvis. I saw a surgeon 10 months ago and was promised an operation in 3-6 months. It is now over 10 months and the pain is much worse getting close to unbearable, my op has not been done and I am told I still cant be given a date for an op. Is there any other steps I can take to speed things up? I even wrote the surgeon a personal letter with phone numbers and a SAE. Please help, As I am starting to control of my urine and dread to think whats next. Thank you in anticipation. Rick Cooper
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Hi there.

Thank you for your question.

I will be helping you out with your queries.

Have you been to a pain medicine specialist to try a cortisone shot in your back (epidural nerve block)?

Please let me know.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no xray shows bone has moved forward and now out of place trapping nerves. seems only an op can correct this

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I understand that but to reduce pain epidural injections of cortisone are sometimes very helpful and therefore almost all patients should be referred to a pain medicine specialist to treat the pain waiting for surgery.
Since you cannot have surgery at the moment the best thing to do would be to consult a pain medicine specialist if you have not already done so.
I would like that you should have a cortisone shot in your spine to try and alleviate your pain.
Since your pain is severe at the moment, and if you do not have anything at home that is helping you, you can consider going to the emergency right now.
If you can get an appointment with your GP and get him to refer you to a pain medicine doctor, that would also be great.
Meanwhile for the nerve pain medications like pregabalin, gabapentin, duloxetine will help you.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I made contact, hoping to find a way of speeding things up and getting an op ASAP. Because I would have to get those super strong painkillers from the Dr, which would show on my record. Which, I feel would then make me a NON urgent patient as my pain is under control, leaving me further down the list for an op. You need to understand I have lost 3/4 of feeling in my legs and feet now it seems my pelvis and all nerves therein are going the same way. So, I need to be aware of how bad it is, rather than cover all the pain then, one day collapse with it all gone beyond repair, and I spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. All I wanted to know is can I speed up getting my op?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
There are a few ways that you can speed up this process:

1. You are having severe pain to the extent that this is deemed as an emergency. You are losing your sensations and even your pelvis is being involved which means that this should be treated as an emergency and you may be eligible for emergency surgery for this after a repeat MRI.

2. The other option is that your GP can push for this and try and speed up this process.

3. Another option is that you can have this surgery done in other countries in the European union e.g. Germany

Let me know if you have more questions.