How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrHelen Your Own Question
DrHelen, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 61
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrHelen is online now

How to access a health care wothout an adult?

This answer was rated:

How to access a health care wothout an adult?
What is the situation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


My name is Aggie

Im working with young people , who asked me to get more information with regards to how they can get an access to health services without an adult.

they need to know if they are ways of seeing a GP or any other health consultant without parents?

thank you


I assume you mean without a parents consent
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


and what is the process?

Is there any support / information available how to do it?

Still looking
See this document in the meantime.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also Confidentiality and consent

16 and older the request can be made to the GP, that starts the process.
It would be confidential
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so they can go to their local surgery and ask for an appointment, and they have a right to be seen by a GP without a parent?

Is there any info available about this, i can pass to them?

what is the situation with children under 16?

I can't work on it that fast
i'll opt out for other experts to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, thank you

This is Dr. David

seeing a doctor and getting surgery are two different things

what surgery are you interested in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im based in Devon so any surgery in devon

you can see a surgeon, but the surgeon may not do surgery for you

what type of surgery are you interested in?

Hello, this is Dr Helen, I am a UK doctor and have worked in hospitals and GP for many years. If I understand your question correctly you are not asking about getting any form of surgery but want to know what the law says about under 16s seeking medical advice. Here in the UK we have what is known as Gillick Competence. In essence this was a landmark ruling brought about after a Mrs Victoria Gillick tried to have the law changed to insist all under 16s had to have parental consent for medical treatment. Under 16s can see doctors without their parents knowing BUT only if the doctor is happy they are "Gillick Competent" and can make their own decisions responsibly. This page by the NSPCC tells you all you need to know and they probably have literature they can send you too.

We also have the Fraser guidelines which cover the legal implications of under 16s seeking medical advice without parental consent. This NSPCC site also explains them more fully.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions. I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 24 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.

DrHelen, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 61
Experience: UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
DrHelen and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Don't forget if you have any further questions you can post them here. You are not charged again.
Best wishes.