How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19308
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I have a friend who suffers with Aspergers Syndrome. He is

This answer was rated:

I have a friend who suffers with Aspergers Syndrome. He is aged 45 and married with three children. His two sons (age 19 & 9) also have Aspergers. He, his wife and the elder son are visibly depressed. The fathers job is not very good whereas the son has a good job. the have become obsessed with their own problems and become very introverted. I am worried about the depression they talk of and we are taking them soon to a private medical specialist. In the meantime could they take some form of Homeopathy to try and alleviate the problem. I think it is just a combination of things that have 'got them down', caused tensions in father/son relationships etc.
I notice that no other expert has responded to your question.

It is not easy to discuss homeopathic remedies without performing an assessment of the patient.

However, there are some nutritional and herbal supplements that could be tried without seeking an assessment. It may help to take SAM-e or 5-HTP, both of which are precursors to brain chemicals that may be involved in depression. There also is some evidence that supplementation with vitamin B6, vitamin B12, or folic acid may help depression. An herb, St. John's wort, also may help depression.

It is important to note that none of these interventions have been shown to be as effective as the prescription antidepressants, so if there are significant symptoms, it would be appropriate to see a physician for consideration of prescription of antidepressants.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you