Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States

i had a bad UTI about 6 weeks ago and have slight UTI symptoms,

i had a bad UTI about 6 weeks ago and have slight UTI symptoms, I just did a urine test and it showed positive for blood (v slight) protein ( v slight) and high levels of leukocytes but negative for nitrates, I have just been to my gp and he said not to worry - should i worry ? I am panicking that I might have bladder cancer ? what should I do ?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
This to me indicates that your UTI is back or it wasn't fully treated
A culture should be done to make sure the infection is treated this time.
If you are getting recurrent urinary infections you need to see a urologist.
I doubt this is cancer or anything serious though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My doctor said that because the test was negative for nitrates it was not an infection ? but I think he might be wrong ?

He is wrong
you are correct
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)