How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35528
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My husband of 75 years suddenly became unwell with the return

Customer Question

My husband of 75 years suddenly became unwell with the return of rheumatoid Arthritis which he recovered from thirty years ago, with gold injections. This recent attack has given him tremendous pain in his knees and arms and feet that has been unbearable . We queried at the time whether this intense pain could be a return of his old ailment. He was told it we as a form of gout and not to worry too much. However the intenseness of the pain was so great that not even a morphine base medication helped . Over a period of three months the pain impacted upon a heart condition ( ie heart failure ) but no-one seemed worried about this . Just prior to this attack he was fit, healthy, and active, .He has had to wait for a consultant rheumatologist appointment , that was in April with a follow up in September. I have the same concerns with regard to his heart problem , which in my opinion seems to be of little concern to the Doctors since he finds everyday life a struggle. He has been given various medications , which helps to some degree but is not actually treating the root cause of his problems and nine months has resulted in a level of depression. He did eventually get to see a cardiologist , nothing too definite and he now has to wait a scan. He is on so much medication that his cast iron stomach has given him upset stomach which he has been in bed for three days and still quite unwell. I do not know what to do for the best I contacted the surgery and was told if he was no better in three days to get back in touch , but no-on is on duty. and NHS Direct is closed . His diarrhea is foul smelling , but no blood content This is the first time in forty years that he has taken to his bed, so I know he is suffering unduly. . Can you suggest what is the best thing to do. Thanking You. C.J. E
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. And we can continue after this if you'd like. For now, I'm very concerned about his diarrhea and he shouldn't wait any longer to evaluate this because it could be a bacterial enteritis with something like E coli, C diff, or salmonella in which case he needs hydration and antibiotics, so you really should get him to A&E just as soon as possible.