How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35560
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

My husband presented to GP this pm with a rash on his ankles

Customer Question

My husband presented to GP this pm with a rash on his ankles which has become infected - surface pustules. GP advised to take sample at home and take immediately to AE for analysis.
My husband was discharged from hospital on Wednesday following a course of IV antibiotics for chest infection. Help! I am very worried about what this infected skin rash might be
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--would it be possible to post a photo of the rash on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry husband is delivering sample but it is site specific to his ankles and red and has surface pustules

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem Gill. And we can continue after this if you'd like. This sounds like a case of cellulitis--skin infection--and usually that's caused either by a strep or a staph infection. The culture that's being analyzed is a good idea to identify the bug and see what antibiotics would be most appropriate for it but I myself would have started him on Keflex or Augmentin in advance of the culture results.