How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8808
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now

My son is 17 and started his final year at school yesterday.

This answer was rated:

My son is 17 and started his final year at school yesterday. He is suffering from a headache towards the front of the head and part of the forehead and down both sides of his face roughly level with the ear lobes. The headache started during the first few days of May and has been constant ever since. He had a ct scan which showed nothing sinister and an MRI more recently which confirmed that. He has tried every painkiller from aspirin, neurofen, to ponstin, difene etc. For the first time, during summer holidays, while with his friends, he tried a 'joint' and the pain completely disappeared for a short time. It worries me that a precedent might have been set. However we have gone all the normal routes with no results. Where to next ? Regards Frank
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I think that the first thing that should be done is that all pain medications should be stopped.
Plus I would also suggest that something like escitalopram should be tried to see if that helps with his symptoms.
The reason why I say that is because with all the tests normal the last thing that comes to mind is increased stress and anxiety that can cause this kind of pain and the use of 'joint' relieving the pain does go in favour of this diagnosis.
So I would recommend that you should contact a psychiatrist for this for further evaluation of this aspect.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Dr. SH and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you