How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19325
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

I am hopelessly emotional...cry in sympathy with others. It

Customer Question

I am hopelessly emotional...cry in sympathy with others. It is embarassing
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long have you noticed this issue?
Are you having any associated symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Several years now. No related symptoms.


Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the addition information.

Of course, some people are more emotional than others, but when there is an excessive amount of being overly emotional at a level that is bothersome, the primary medical condition that is a concern is clinical depression. People with clinical depression can have a variety of symptoms, but it frequently is manifested as being emotional and easing crying/tearfulness.

When someone has clinical depression, we would usually consider the use of prescription antidepressants, such as sertraline or citalopram (amongst many others), or counselling. Some people prefer to first try supplements rather than taking prescription medicines, and there are several to consider, such as SAM-e, 5-HTP, folic acid, and vitamin B6. There also is an herbal supplement, St. Johns wart, that can be used for mild clinical depression. If these supplements achieve adequate improvement, then no further intervention is necessary, but if the issue persists, it would be appropriate to discuss the issue with your doctor.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome.