DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.

I have developed lymph oedema in my left leg following surgery

I have developed lymph oedema in my left leg following surgery 6 weeks go. What are the best exercises to help to reduce this problem?
How do you know this is lymphedema
You should be doing any exercises on your own.
What surgery was it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Removal of inguinal and abdominal lymph nodes
you need an ultrasound of the leg
have you had that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I have not had an ultra sound but will request one tomorrow when I attend the dressing clinic.
The problem is you have to rule out blood clot.
You do not want to exercise, and they should do the ultrasound before they do any tight wraps.
If lymphedema, then wraps and walking are the first two things to do, using special stockings for walking.
Specific leg exercises should be based on exam, and guided by a therapist, before you do them on your own.
here is a mayo clinic write up on treatments
But first the ultrasound.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.