How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35560
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I was admitted to hospital 6 months ago with suspected appendicitis.

This answer was rated:

I was admitted to hospital 6 months ago with suspected appendicitis. This was ruled out following tests. Since then I have suffered pain on the lower right of my abdomen (just above the crease for my leg and also pain just to the right of my belly button. It hurts to press it, there is no visible lump, but my stomach is very swollen and it is very painful to bend over. It also is very difficult to empty my bowels (I only manage once a day with difficultly which is unusual for me). I have had an endoscopy which was all clear (but very painful), a CT scan and MRI, all of which are normal. I am wondering if a hernia could cause this as when I was in hospital with suspected appendicitis the clinician said I had a hernia, but no-one I've seen since then (do I need to find a specialist?) has agreed with that as a diagnosis. What would you suggest I do next?
Hi. From what you've said I think the diagnosis of either an inguinal or a femoral hernia is most likely here. I would get an MRI of the abdomen and pelvis (more detailed than a ct scan) and I would refer you to a general surgeon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** what I have been wondering myself particularly as I had recently taken up hula hooping (with a weighted hoop) prior to this happening (I do a lot of sport). Any idea how I can get an MRI of my abdomen and pelvis (do I request it via my gp? can I get it on the NHS?)

Your GP can order the scan and you should be able with his referral to get that covered by NHS.
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you