Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am male, 67 years old and I am due to go into hospital for

I am male, 67 years old and I am due to go into hospital for treatment for varicose veins. I may be very anxious about the procedure but I am not overly aware of it. In the past my GP has suggested that I have counselling for anxiety when I have discussed various ailments with him.
My question, I am having a bad period of hot face, neck and shoulders (with some but not much sweating at night) coupled with the sensation of cold / shivery legs (although the flesh is warm to the touch). Is this likely to indicate a separate ailment or could it be due to a combination of stress / varicose veins.
Hi--first can I ask if you've ever had anything like this before? Is this constant or if it comes and goes, how long does it last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had a hot face etc from time to time and some sweating in (generally when the seasons change) over a number of years. The hot face doesn't bother me out in the fresh air but is very noticeable in the house.

I have never had the cold legs before but the seem to come and go with the varicose veins.

OK Jim. Do both your legs feel cold to you throughout and is this only a problem at night or all the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. It can be in both legs but mainly in one. It is hardly noticeable when I am in bed and also seems to be improved by phisio on the calves. The "cold" legs I have had for a couple of months, the hot face a couple of weeks.

OK Jim. I think the cold feeling without there actually being coldness to the touch is from some sluggish blood flow in your legs from the varicose veins. I think the hot face, neck and shoulder is most likely just from worry, anxiety and stress. The leg problem should resolve with the varicosity treatment