How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35596
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

In the last two years i have been to the dentist on three occasions

Customer Question

In the last two years i have been to the dentist on three occasions with a vile taste in my mouth and bad breath the dentist says there is no infection or problem, that my gums are healthy. This has gradually been getting worse over the last 10 years.
I floss daily and use interdental sticks (which sometimes make my teeth ache) and between the one back wisdom tooth can sometimes bleed. Through the instruction on my dentist i have continued to use interdental sticks as he said if there is slight gum disease it will help although he thinks i may have been to rough which causes the slight bleed around the one tooth. Ive tried anti septic mouth washes, hydrogen peroxide, brushing three times a day (also scraping my tounge) salt water rinses, nasal rinses and switched to a electric toothbrush but it continues. I have even spent £3000 going private to have my tonsil removed as i was at my whits end and went to the doctor but this had not helped either. In places my gums receed slightly and i have extremely sensitive teeth to the point i almost got stabbed during last scale & polish which puts me off having another one :( Could this be to do with salivary glands? I seem to have thick saliva on the side the bad taste is and wake up its also in my throught & doesnt improve until i eat. I have had meds for acid reflux & post nasal drip which have not worked so i am sure its dental. The hospital have discharged me and told me i have to learn to deal with it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. How is your saliva production--do you have a problem with your mouth being unusually dry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wouldnt say that it is unusally dry however i am constantly chewing on chewing gum & i have noticed that sometimes by gum sticks to my bottom teeth if i am not chewing on chewing gum. When i brush though im spitting out alot of thick saliva & my tounge can sometimes have a sting sensation. ENT thought the thick saliva was due to the bad taste. When i go for dental check up my mouth fills up with saliva (you know when you need to spit out) so im not sure if this is the problem?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jess. We can continue after this if you'd like but my first thought is indeed a salivary gland problem as in a disorder called Sjogren's syndrome which is one type of autoimmune disorder. The other possibility would be a chronic sinus infection and if you haven't had a ct scan of your sinuses I would get one. I would refer you to a rheumatologist for specific blood testing for Sjogren's. For now, as far as the bad breath goes, you can try chlorophyll tablets, two before each meal and at bedtime. That usually helps greatly with bad breath
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a CT scan a couple of years ago when i first went to the doctor.. firstly one ENT said i would benefit from a septoplasty for a slight deviated septum (when i went private the doc said there was no need & i had tonsillectomy). It showed a slight blockage on the opposite side of my sinus' but he said this would not be a major problem, Also showed i had a slight build up of mucus which and his advise was to just sinus rinse everyday which i do. I have tried liquid chlorophyll drinking it before meals but it didnt help, have also tried rinsing with grape fruit seed extract which again didnt help. Would i go to doctor or dentist about Sjogrens syndrome?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You'd need to see an MD specialist--a Rheumatologist--for the proper evaluation for Sjogren's syndrome Jess