How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35563
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

How can I help my wife who has gone to bed at 8 pm nearly every

This answer was rated:

How can I help my wife who has gone to bed at 8 pm nearly every night for the last 12 years and is now going at 7pm.. is quite depressed and does strange things like sitting outside as if I have locked her out of the house and now is unaware that incontinence pads have dropped down the loo..she is completely rational during the day and everyone thinks she is a lovely person. And, yes, we both have drink before dinner. Diagnosed with type 2 , quite underweight but seems to be managing that. Cutting out eating tomatoes strangely helps. She seems to have no joy in her life and dwells on sadness of the past. One son died in 30s one daughter stillborn 40 years ago and 3 sons all with varying marital problems. As I say, how can I help?
Hi. Are you saying she won't talk to her doctor about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She talks to no one about this. She wakes and says tomorrow is another day and carries on as if nothing happened. Physical closeness is out of the question, except very rarely.
And when you try to discuss this with her Martin what does she say?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She goes to bed. Raise it in the morning and she says sorry about that and then nothing changes.
I understand. Have you considered talking to her doctor about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have. But how do I phrase it when her gp is not mine and I have moved from him years ago.
Well, of course she needs to see either a psychiatrist or a psychologist or both. She may need medication as well as therapy sessions. You've done all you could for now but she doesn't even seem to be aware that she has a problem. Talk to her doctor and tell him exactly what you've told me--that she seems distant and depressed and that you're very concerned about her. Tell him that you will support her fully but she needs to have an intervention here.
Dr. Chip and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you